Since 2014 Pacific Assist has sent over 200 shipping containers to islands such as Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, and Kiribati. Pacific Assist liaises with primary and secondary schools who are seeking to donate high quality second hand desks and chairs. We partner with these schools to arrange the shipping of their donated furniture. Shipping costs are met by sponsors, but we gratefully receive donations that assist with meeting the high costs involved. Also, to make the process cost effective for us, we request that schools meet the following conditions:
In Australia -
- Be located within 40km of the Melbourne CBD or 30kms of the Brisbane CBD, or:
- Be willing to deliver the donation; or,
- Cover the cost of transporting a container beyond the distances noted above.
- Have a minimum of a container load (approximately 240 double desks and 480 chairs). For schools with less than a container load, we suggest:
- Partnering with other schools in their local area to make a donation of one container load; or
- Arranging to deliver the donation to the container landing site being utilised by Pacific Assist (genarally a school).
- Provide a site for landing a container on the school grounds (this needs to be accessible by a semi trailer - see picture). If there is no suitable site on the school's grounds, another site close to the school could be utilised, but this will need to be organised by the school, including organising any permits).
- If a container landing site is not available at or near the school, Pacific Assist can arrange an alternative site, but the school will be responsible to bring the furniture to the container site on the day of loading
- Arrange for all furniture being donated to be at the container site ready for Pacific Assist volunteers to load the container.
In New Zealand -
- Be located within Auckland.
If your school has furniture it would like to donate and can meet the conditions outlined above, please fill out the Donations Form below.
Also see our Latest News and Gallery pages.